2023 Scholarship Description
The Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir is offering a Music Vocal Performance Scholarship at an undergraduate level for a one time $1,000 award. The scholarship aims to assist and promote vocal performance music education at a four-year university in the city of Houston, TX. Applicants do not need to reside in Houston, TX to apply. Houston Cecilia understands the education and rehearsal demands that students face throughout their student career. Applicants and recipients are not asked to participate or sing with the Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir.
Application Submission Open
June 1, 2023
Application Submission Close
August 14, 2023
Recipient Award Announcement
August 31, 2023
About John Krueger
John Krueger was a talented chorister, composer, and friend to many. His passion was to encourage the discovery of the beauty and joy of music. John served as Director of Music for Christ the Servant Lutheran Church, was an active board member and Bass with the Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir, and dedicated his time to community support while inspiring young musicians. John was deeply committed to the study of Martin Luther and applied pedagogy. His impact on the Houston Music Community was tremendous and inspiring and always left those around him with a smile.
- Houston Cecilia understands the education and rehearsal demands that students face throughout their student career. Applicants and recipients are not asked to participate or sing with the Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir.
- Applicants must major in music with an emphasis in vocal performance at an accredited four-year university of higher education in Houston, TX.
- Applicants must be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. If the student is an incoming freshman into a four-year university, the student must have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 and must also be enrolled in the choral music program (curriculum) at the high school in which they attend.
- Applicants must show proof of enrollment into a vocal performance university studio at the university from which they will attend during the Fall semester of 2023.
- Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from a university professor in the field of music sent for submission via email. Applicants transferring from a two-year college must provide a letter of recommendation from a music professor. Incoming freshman must provide a letter of recommendation from their high school music educator.
- Scholarship recipients agree to utilize the full amount of the awarded scholarship toward the assistance of their education expenses.
- Scholarship award will be sent to the university financial office where the applicant is enrolled for the Fall semester of 2023.
- Scholarship recipients will submit a bio headshot with an abridged biography of their music experience while providing consent to publicize the scholarship award acknowledgement on the Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir website, newsletter, and multiple social media platforms.
- Scholarship recipients are encouraged to attend the Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir’s first Fall concert for audience recognition.
Applicants will be required to answer two essay questions within the application form. Both essays are to be a minimum of 1 page (double spaced) and a maximum of 3 pages (double spaced),12 pt. font.
- Explain why you should be chosen to receive a vocal scholarship from The Houston Cecilia Chamber Choir. Describe what your aspirations are as a vocalist and how you believe this scholarship will help you achieve your goals. How does your unique story set you apart in the world of music?
- How was Johann Sebastian Bach influenced by Martin Luther in his composition writing? Provide an example where J.S. Bach applies the words of M. Luther in his works and how the music was presented to the community during the time of J.S. Bach. Provide a works citation page. (Please provide the sources that you have utilized for presenting your findings. Works citation page is not included in the minimum/maximum essay page count).
Scholarship Application-Apply Here
2023-2024 Application submissions are open.
Scholarship application is available here through google forms.
Scholarship Award: $1,000
Your financial contribution will help support young undergraduate vocal performance students achieve their music education goals.
Financial Scholarship Donations